Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Beat the Glut

Marrow stripes - July 2008

August and September sees our harvest in full swing and with a number of crops in glut. Courgettes (zucchini) are notorious for this - back in June/July you may find just one small courgette per plant, then the next time you look there's armfulls of them. We always host a curry evening in August and put a crate of them out for our visitors to help themselves, having tried the product already in my husband's vegetable curry.

With this in mind, I've put together a few of my favourite 'glut busting' recipes. Some may already be old favourites of yours or you may have a similar version, but I think there should be something new here to tempt and tickle your tastebuds. Let me know how you get on if you decide to try any of them.

Any allotmenteer worth their salt is also a great soup maker. Here's my version of the genre. I've also added New Covent Garden Soup Company's Courgette and Brie Soup as a variation.

Soup should have lots of fresh, homemade bread to mop it all up - Courgette, Tarragon and Lemon Bread gives an easy to make more unusual, flavoursome twist on the old classic.

No soup, but you have some cheese to go with your bread? Then Glutney chutney's just the thing to go with it.

It's teatime? You love carrot cake? Then this Courgette Cake recipe's going to blow you away.

Right, we have enough recipes for snacks and tea-time treats. Here's a few more savoury recipes to make a more substantial meal.

For starters there's my favourite dish from Greek holidays - Courgette Fritters. For a main course I have two choices for you - Baked Courgette Omlette or Butternut Squash Risotto.

Oops, I appear to have overlooked tomatoes somewhat in the glutbuster stakes. It's probably because I had total crop failure last year owing to blight and this year's only just coming into production (I only grow outdoor varieties). So lets redress the balance a little with my favourite basic tomato recipe, Roasted Tomato Sauce.

What's your favourite Glut Busting recipe?

4 comments:

emmat said...

I bought a gigantic marrow off a farm stand on the way to Hyde Hall the other day. I put some chunks of it in homemade chicken soup with rice when i was ill, because I had no celery, and it was delicious. Sort of transformed it from a wintery warmer into a lovely summer soup.

Still have 9/10ths of the marrow though. And I took the smallest one!

VP said...

Try the soup recipe :)

HappyMouffetard said...

The courgette, tarragon and lemon bread is delish and has just met the approval of the visiting in-laws!

VP said...

HM - so glad you tried it :) I think it's one of my favourite recent discoveries. Growing Our Own have tried it too!