Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Welcome!

Header Picture courtesy of: WaterAid/Daniel O’Leary; Logo courtesy of: WaterAid

When I decided to join my local Sing for Water choir (see The Sing for Water Challenge on the sidebar) in 2008, I was also asked to raise a minimum £50 donation in addition to anything we might raise at the concert itself. I racked my brains for a different fundraising idea and came up with - opening my garden over the web!

This very different blog raised a fantastic total of £1085 (approx. 1,750 USD). Donations are closed now, but I decided to retain this tour as it gives such a good introduction to my garden for new readers of my regular blog, Veg Plotting. Before I show you around my garden, I thought I'd tell you a little bit about the charity, then if you like what you see, you might like to donate directly to WaterAid (note this link opens in a new window, so you won't lose your place here), the charity striving to provide clean water and sanitation for over 1 billion of the world's population. WaterAid were very excited about my fund raising idea and provided this 2 minute video to show why their work is so important.



I must also add that I've worked as a volunteer freshwater biologist researching into water quality on a nature reserve in Mallorca. For a number of years we had European Union funding to enable scientists from various African countries to come and help on the project. I was surprised to see their reaction to water when they came out with me to take samples. Many of them were terrified of it. Not just because of the dangers of animals such as crocodiles, but they were worried that by just touching the water they would contract a dreadful disease. It was hard work for them to overcome this fear and help me with my studies. Their reaction really drove home to me the value of the work that WaterAid is doing.

I'm suggesting a £2 (approx. $4 USD) donation for your visit. This is the usual minimum fee for gardens involved in the National Gardens Scheme in England and also reflects the equivalent amount of preparation I've made to open my garden to you over the web. My prize giveaways mentioned later - just to show what you missed - have finished, but I still have some seeds saved from mine and a couple of other bloggers gardens if you'd like some. See the sidebar on the right for more details and contact me via vegplotting at gmail dot com.

Note: The seed giveaway will be for UK and EU residents only (thanks to Sue Swift for confirming I can send seeds to EU residents) owing to the seed import restrictions applicable elsewhere. For example, I can't send seeds to the US unless you're registered with customs. I have risked it in the past and seeds have got usually got through to the recipient, but the postage costs are almost as much as my suggested minimum donation. In view of this I won't be sending seeds to the US.

Update 30/6/2009: Sing For Water continues! The first Sing For Water West took place last Saturday at Bristol Harbour, thanks to Chris and Ali, 2 of our choirmasters from last year, Chris' wife Lisa and a great team of volunteers. We were blessed with a hot sunny day and a large audience who came to hear 600 of us gathered from all over the south-west and Surrey. It was another fantastic day and you'll find links over to Veg Plotting about this year's event in the right sidebar.

Now, let's go and find the garden shall we?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is brilliant!
I shall do an entry about this on Flighty's Plot, and include a link on my blogroll under A Good Cause.
I will of course also make a donation.
Have a good weekend! xx
.
[I've also emailed you saying the same thing!]

Anonymous said...

Great job :) Saw this on Mr Flighty's blog. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say entry done but I see that Sinta has beat me to it! xx

VP said...

Hi Flighty - that's brilliant - thanks very much!

Hi Sinta - thanks for coming!

Flighty and Sinta - have a great weekend!

Rose said...

VP, I am overwhelmed! You are involved in so many worthwhile activities, I feel like a slug! Seriously, this project must have taken a tremendous amount of time, and I applaud you for the wonderful work you are doing.

I've looked at just two of the articles so far; I'm going to come back several times to look at them again and to read all the articles.

VP said...

Rose - thank you and come back soon!

emmat said...

I'm so enjoying watching the £££ building up! I love Fat Rascal's comment the most - you worked so hard you definitely deserve more Heucheras....

VP said...

Hi Emma! It's great isn't it? Yes, Fat Rascal's comment made me smile. It's very tempting to make it happen too!

Patient Gardener was in here a few moments ago - you may bump into her...

emmat said...

Do you know what i've just realised? You haven't got an obvious link to the charity and the work they do! Just a thought... I can't find one!

VP said...

Hi Emma - I've put a couple of links in now. Since writing the post, I've learnt how to open links in a new window, so people won't lose their place here :)

emmat said...

that's great! There's so much stuff on their site ... including I notice a thing about your open garden (click "Get Involved" from top menu, then Community Groups, then Sing for Water!, for those Vp completist fans out there!)

VP said...

Yes, they do a very good site. T-shirts are also for sale on the GB version!

Sue Swift said...

Love what you're doing. As far as I understand there are no restrictions on transferring plants / seeds etc from the UK to the EU except for potatoes and some other rarer plants. Check here :http://www.tulli.fi/en/02_Publications/02_Customer_bulletins/other_003_2005_en.jsp#5

VP said...

Sue - glad you like it here and thanks for the clarification on sending seeds to the EU. I'll amend the text to reflect that.

Helen/patientgardener said...

Hi VP - just to say that as its raining here, I have now found the time to have a waunder around your garden - lovely, you have achieved a lot. Off now to email you re the quiz

VP said...

Hi PG - the quiz was perfect timing for our miserable weekend wasn't it? So glad you found the time to enter.

The Constant Gardener said...

phew! was I the last one in?

came round yesterday and loved it (especially the cakes :D)

well done VP this is fantastic - hope you make your target.

Juliet said...

I have a confession to make ... I've been sneaking round your garden, a little bit at a time, without paying to get in ... the problem is, Romeo is always asleep by the time I get here & I need his debit card for you to get giftaid. Anyway, I've just gone & filched it from his jeans, so I no longer need to keep feeling so guilty about looking at your heucheras. I might even stop for tea and cake this time round!

Juliet said...

... and now, would you believe it, the Just Giving site isn't working!

It says to try again in an hour, but I'm not sure I'll still be awake then so I might have to try again tomorrow.

VP said...

CG - No lots of people have visited here since you did. I'm glad you enjoyed it - come again soon!

Juliet - it's nice to hear how someone is visiting my garden. I'm glad you were persistent with both your visit and making your donation :D

WaterAid said...

Great great job! Thanks from all at WAterAid

VP said...

Wateraid - you're most welcome!