As a flowering group I find Clematis hard to beat. Even their seed heads are beautiful as this picture of C. 'Nelly Moser' shows. From tiny, delicate flowers to large, blowsy dinner plate blooms, they add effortless height to my borders. With some judicious choosing and placing, I manage to have Clematis in bloom every month of the year.I currently have the following Clematis in flower - these came into flower during July and are still going strong:

From November to March/April, Clematis cirrhosa 'Balearica' is my sole flowerer. Soon it will be joined by its relative, 'Freckles'. I'm growing them on a sheltered, west facing wall, which encourages a prolonged season of flowering. They're different to most Clematis, being evergreen and with a fluted, almost oak-like leaf. I chose 'Balearica', not only because of its winter interest, but also because I've been volunteering as a freshwater biologist on a wetland project in Mallorca, so it's a reminder of happy times out there.
From March to May Clematis montana var. Rubens 'Elizabeth' (opposite) and C. Alpina 'Francis Rivis' (see above) hold the show. The latter has draped itself over a Corkscrew Hazel (Corylus avellana 'Contorta'), thus adding interest to this tree during its dull, leafy phase. During May, my Clematis display really gets going - these will flower until the end of June:
Clockwise from top left:
1. C. 'Guernsey Cream' 2. C. 'Miss Bateman' 3. C. 'Dorothy Walton' 4. C. 'Elsa Spath' & C. 'Hagley Hybrid' 5. C. 'Ville de Lyon' 6. C. 'Daniel Deronda' 7. C. 'Josephine' 8. C. 'Nelly Moser' 9. C. 'Josephine', C. 'Souvenir du Capitaine Thuilleaux' & mystery Clematis
So now we're back to the current display shown at the start of this post, which have been flowering since July. These will be joined later in August by others such as C. 'Elsa Spath' and C. 'Josephine'. 'Elsa Spath' in particular flowers late on into the year - last year, only the hard frosts experienced at the end of November bought its flowershow to an end and by then, C. cirrhosa 'Balearica' was ready to take over the baton.
My mystery Clematis
This is my floosiest of them all and I adore it. It's meant to be C. 'Crystal Fountain', but the flowers are nothing like those shown on the label. I can't match it with any other Clematis in the catalogues either. Can you help?
I have 30 varieties of Clematis spread over my front and back gardens. I've had to employ a little ingenuity to fit in the last 9 of them. I not only wanted to have more Clematis in the garden, I also wanted to add height to some of my borders. My solution was to buy 3 obelisks and to have 3 Clematis of the same pruning group grow up each of them.
We also have a lot of bare fences with no soil in which to grow
plants. I've been experimenting with growing some potted Clematis up these. Success has been variable so far - 'Miss Bateman' has decided she'd prefer to trail rather than grow up the trellis provided! 'Polish Spirit' shown in the first collage has been much more successful though.
Do you have a favourite flowering plant group? Tell me about it...
Update - September 2008
The esteemed Raymond Evison has solved the case of my mystery Clematis. It's a sport - you may like to read more about it here. It turns out I have not one, but two new Clematis in my garden!
12 comments:
freckles is adorable. I want balearica. I did a piece for Kew magazine (for all the Friends) about the Med garden and there's a corker of a cirrhosa there growing up a dead arbutus trunk it is so nice
It's absolutely gorgeous - needs a little tweaking to make sure you get some flowers at eye level, but beautiful all the same.
I do envy you - I've lost loads of clematis over the years. I think it must be my very light soil as I've followed all the planting advice. Only montana, tangutica, balaerica and armandii have lasted the course. It's not fair!
Hi Easygardener - they usually take 2-3 years to establish themselves, so it's not all sweetness and light here either. But they're worth it :)
Could your mystery clem be Blue Light?
The photo looks very similar to mine - it's early flowering, the outer petals drop and leave the centre bit and snails love it!
Hmm, will need to look that one up Fat Rascal - is it a Raymond Evison variety too? I'm about to do a post on Veg Plotting looking at my mystery clematis and Joesephine - they seem to have swapped some of their characteristics in my view.
It is from a Dutch grower, as many of the plants sold in France are! No disrespect intended, I'm happy for anything I can get.
Do you know the Hull Clematis website? You can search by colour, flowering period, name etc. and then be distracted and add lots of other clems to your wishlist!
A lot of ours come from that source too. It's just that that mystery one came direct from Raymond Evison's nursery (as did my Josephine) - our local garden centre has a 'special delivery' from there about this time of year. Yes, I do know the Hull website. It's great, as is a Polish one I've found too.
What a wonderful collection of Clematis you have. I see that I have been very remiss with having only a dozen or so. Must grow a whole lot more. I must try and get that wonderful Clematis cirrhosa Balearica and the gorgeous C. Elsa Spath. One of the fun things of visiting an open garden is to discover new plants and new combinations. Thanks for the info, it's always nice while wandering through a lovely garden to get useful info from the owner.
Yolanda - I still have more on my must have list! I need to be a little more inventive where the next ones go!
Hello again! Just resuming my tour after a short break!
I have a friend who is also a Clemaholic - she even has a Clematis website - I'm sure she could give you some ideas about how to fit more in: I think her garden is quite a bit smaller than yours!
I'm a Papavholic ... or maybe an Eschscholzaholic ... or a Meconopsaholic ... anyway, I'm addicted to poppies. Growing them & taking their photos, I mean!
Juliet - hello again! Thanks for the link. I see you've made a start on your homage to all things Papaver over at your place!
Post a Comment